CUPE Strike Action: Picket Line Information
McMaster Teaching Assistants represented by CUPE Local 3906 Unit 1, have begun their strike action. Anyone coming to campus should expect delays.
The university and the union have agreed on a picket line protocol that prioritizes the safety and accessibility of all community members, including those on the picket lines. Please be patient and respectful when moving through any picket line.
Important updates from the picket protocol:
- Picketing activities will occur Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Pickets will be at the entrances to campus at Sterling Street and Cootes Drive – expect delays.
- Main Street and King Street entrances to the hospital will remain open to ensure access for emergency vehicles, and for individuals who need access to the hospital only.
- No other traffic should use the Main Street or King Street entrances. There are a few exceptions which are being communicated directly with those who can use the entry. These exceptions include families dropping children off at daycare, individuals with MTO accessibility permits, transport of critical supplies etc.
- CUPE 3906 will be holding cars at picket lines for a maximum of 4 minutes. Seven vehicles will be allowed through once that time is up.
- Traffic lines will be cleared should a backup interfere with major roads and intersections.
- All students, staff and faculty have the right to cross the picket line if they choose to do so. Please be respectful and patient.
- HSR and GO Transit buses will not cross picket lines. Drop off and pickup locations will be adjusted. DARTS vehicles will continue to access campus.
- For additional picket line information visit the strike information FAQ.